Getting together with my family for the holidays always creates a feeling of food nostalgia for me. My father traveled quite a bit for work and my mother was always running around getting my sister and I situated with our extra curricular activities and school. One thing my parents excelled at was getting us all together for dinner, or whatever meal was available to us over the weekend with our hectic schedules. As such some of my best memories, are food memories, and Gooey Butter Cake is one of my favorite.
For those of you who have not had this ooey gooey delicious breakfast staple, you are really missing out. Not many people I have met in Virginia know what this is, but if you grew up in the midwest, specifically St. Louis, seeing this when you woke up for breakfast brought instantly made your day. Prepackaged, or homemade it was always a win.
It is basically cake for breakfast, and in my eyes nothing could be better.
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 5 eggs
- 8 oz package of cream cheese
- 1 box of powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Combine the cake mix, melted butter and 2 eggs (beat before adding) .
- Pour cake mixture ingredients once combined into a greased 9×13 pan
- With a mixer, combine cream cheese, 3 eggs and 1 box of powdered sugar.
- Once well mixed, pour over top of cake mix into the 9×13 pan
- Bake for 35-45 minutes
- Once cool add a dusting of powdered sugar and ENJOY!