I finally got some friends over to taste test 3 different recipes, and we unanimously decided on my Saucy Mama entry for 2015!!!
This pasta recipe is simple to make in large quantities and is easily refrigerated or made ahead of time to enjoy at family events! What I love most about this pasta entree is that you can prepare it with or without the extra creamy horseradish sauce and still enjoy a delicious and hearty entree.
While I was able to choose between 6 sauces to experiment with, for this recipe I specifically used the Cracked Pepper Marinade and the Creamy Horseradish sauce. Please check out the Saucy Mama online store, I have loved using so many of these sauces over the past few weeks in my experimental dishes.
Want to test out some of the Saucy Mama sauces for free? Remember to enter my Saucy Mama giveaway to win some free Saucy Mama Sauces of your choice!
Continue reading “Saucy Mama Contest: Cracked Pepper Short Rib Pasta with Creamy Horseradish Sauce”
So I am absolutely obsessed with my spirazlier! It is such an easy and fun way to feel like I am getting that pasta taste
You could also do squash, or sweet potato “noodles,” but i feel for this specific combo that the pesto and zucchini work well together!and feel for a fraction of the calories! I have used this recipe over and over again for lunches and dinners.
Continue reading “Zucchini “Noodles” with Homemade Pesto”
This was inspired by a recipe I saw on Pinterest (I can’t seem to find where it originated) and was my first time making homemade gnocchi. I have a strong love of sweet potatoes and cheese so this was a match made in heaven. Honestly one of the best dishes I have ever made, and a future staple. The sauce can be repeated on all types of pasta, for a dip or even on chicken!
Ingredients for Gnocchi
- 1 lb sweet potatoes
- 8 ounces ricotta cheese
- ½ cups grated parmesan cheese
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoons Nutmeg
- 1-¾ cup All-purpose Unbleached Flour
Ingredients for Sauce
- 2 cups milk
- 3 slices white onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 sage leaves
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose unbleached flour
- 1 cup shredded smoked gouda cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 ground pepper
Tip: Reserve extra finely diced sage and parmesan to sprinkle over finished product if you so desire!
Directions for Gnocchi
- Microwave sweet potatoes on high for 6 minutes. Rotate the potatoes and repeat until the sweet potatoes are fork tender.
- Cut in half and cool potatoes. Careful! I didn’t wait long enough those are hotttt!
- Scrape out the sweet potato flesh into a bowl and mash;
- Measure out 1 1/2 cups of the mash into a large bowl.
- Add ricotta cheese and mix well.
- Add Parmesan cheese, brown sugar, salt, and nutmeg and mix well
- Add flour a 1/2 cup at a time, using your hands work the dough until it is a soft consistency.
- Place dough onto a floured surface and divide the ball into 3 equal pieces.
- Roll one section out into a long rope, about 1 inch in diameter
- Cut each rope into 20-30 pieces depending on the size of the gnocchi you are creating.
- If you so desire you can use the back of the fork to add detail to the gnocchi by lightly pressing onto them.
- Bring a large pot of water (salted if you desire) to boil
- Boil gnocchi until the pieces float to the top and remove with a slotted spoon. (Depending on the size of the pot you may not want to boil all of these in one batch)
- Set gnocchi aside.
Directions for Sauce
- In a small pot combine milk, onion, garlic and sage.
- Place over medium heat and heat until tiny bubbles appear around the edges of the pan, about 5 minutes. Do not boil.
- Remove pan from heat and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Remove and discard onion, garlic and sage leaves.
- Cover to keep warm and set aside.
- Over medium heat melt the butter
- Stir in flour once butter has melted and whisk until well blended.
- Add milk 1/2 cup at a time, whisking the entire time and then reduce heat.
- Continue whisking constantly until the sauce thickens
- Whisk in the shredded gouda cheese until thourougly combined. Cook over low heat, whisking constantly, until the cheese is melted and the sauce is smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour sauce over gnocchi and serve.