Daddy’s Buttermilk Pie
My dad is a constant source of inspiration for me when it comes to cooking up good food. He is constantly perfecting, researching, and trying new recipes, and I benefit from all his hard work when he sends me things like this!! Recently retired my dad has perfected what he finds to be the perfect spring/summer dessert. Buttermilk Pie.
When he told me about it the other week I immediately asked for the recipe. With the new house and new patio furniture for entertaining I knew this would be an instant hit! After hounding him he finally sent this my way, and not only is it delicious, it is something different to put on the menu that your friends aren’t always going to see.
This version is topped with blueberries, however any fruit combo would do! This one is from my dad, and my new favorite dessert!
- 1 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- zest of 1 lemon
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- fresh berries for garnish
- whipped cream if desired
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place pie crust in 9-inch pie plate.
- Line pastry with parchment paper and cover bottom with pie weights.
- Bake 10 minutes at 400 degrees then remove paper and weights and bake another 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool.
- Adjust heat to 350 degrees.
- Whisk together sugar and flour.
- Whisk eggs then add eggs,buttermilk, melted butter, lemon zest and juice, and vanilla extract to sugar and flour mixture.
- Pour into baked pie shell and bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until almost set. Cool 1 hour.